YONKERS, NY — May 17, 2017 — “I would like to thank Mayor Mike Spano for my reappointment to the Yonkers Board of Education for a new five year term. As the Mayor’s first appointment to the Board of Education, I was part of an aggressive and proactive agenda by the Trustees to encourage a more open and transparent initiative to involve all of our education partners and stakeholders toward the process, policies and the delivery of necessary educational, social and cultural services to all of our students,” noted Dr. Sayegh with pride and accomplishment.
“Our district is led by an excellent Superintendent, Dr. Edwin Quezada, and an extremely active board led by President Rev. Steve Lopez. Together, working with our City Administration, Mayor Mike Spano, our State Delegation, PTA, and our Labor Organizations, we will continue to make the Yonkers Public Schools the best in the State,” Dr. Sayegh emphasized.
Dr. Sayegh’s Accomplishments during his first five-year term, three as Board President are:
• Established active Board of Education Committees: Instructional Affairs, Policy, Facilities, etc . . .
• Oversaw the first Yonkers Board of Education (YBoE) – City of Yonkers “Consolidation Plan” initiative which promotes cost effectiveness in the establishment of joint YBOE and City services;
• Reestablished the “Workshop Meetings” component of the Stated Board of Education monthly meetings, allowing for greater Trustee/District awareness of the resolutions before the board;
• Encouraged a greater working relationship with the Big 5 School Districts organization to fight for greater state funding for urban districts like Yonkers; and
• Agressively lobbied to get changes in the State Foundation Aid formula which historically shortchanges Yonkers and its students in the educational funding and services they need, especially in Bilingual Education, English Language Learners and Special Education Students.