YPS District Required to Reach Out to Parents / Guardians Within 14 Days of The First Day of School for Certification of Immunization
Religious Exemptions Are No Longer Permitted
Yonkers Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Edwin Quezada is Attempting to Force YPS Principals to Reach Out to the Parents / Guardians of Students Not Inoculated
Any Student Not Inoculated Will Be Barred From Attending Class
Many Parents / Guardians of School Age Children Who Are Considered Members of the “Friends and Family” Network Are Not Immunized. Will They Comply With New York State Law? If They Do Not, Will the City of Yonkers Be Liable?
Will Yonkers Enforce the Law or Not?
Will the Yonkers Board of Education Board of Trustees Issue a Public Notice Confirming Compliance of the Yonkers Public School District? When? When Will Notice Be Afforded Parents /Guardians?
YONKERS, NY — October 7, 2019 — Non-medical exemptions to school vaccination requirements have ended for children attending day care and pre-K through 12th grade in New York State. This includes all public, private, and religious schools. Religious exemptions are no longer allowed.
Children with non-medical exemptions must now be vaccinated to attend or remain in school.
Students who already have all required school vaccinations, and students with a valid medical exemption from a physician, are not affected by this change.
A medical exemption is allowed when a child has a medical condition that prevents them from receiving a vaccine.
Important vaccination deadlines
- Within 14 days of the first day of school or day care – children must receive the first age-appropriate dose in each immunization series to attend or remain in school or day care.
- Within 30 days after the first day of school or day care – parents or guardians must show that they have appointments for the next required follow-up doses for their child. Deadlines for follow-up doses depend on the vaccine.
What vaccines does my child need?
- Talk to your health care provider. They will help determine which vaccines your child may need. Requirements will differ based on your child’s age and whether they have had any previous shots. Your child will probably not receive all required vaccinations in one visit.
Vaccines required for day care, pre-K, and school attendance
- Diphtheria and Tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine and Pertussis vaccine (Dtap/DTP/Tdap)
- Hepatitis B vaccine
- Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine (MMR)
- Polio vaccine (IPV/OPV)
- Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccine
- Meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MenACWY)
- Haemophilus influenzae type b conjugate vaccine (HiB)
- Pneumococcal Conjugate vaccine (PCV)