DMFI PAC AD FACT SHEET
NEW YORK, NY — June 19, 2020 —-The ad raising concerns about Mr. Bowman’s history of failing to pay New York State taxes is wholly accurate. DMFI PAC believe that voters deserve to know whether he’s paid his own taxes before he starts spending theirs.
- This ad is not just about one outstanding tax debt. New York was forced to file 6 “tax warrants” against Mr. Bowman between 2004 and 2016. As of yesterday afternoon, according to the New York State Tax Warrant Notice System, $2,053.36 in taxes are outstanding. A call to New York Tax authorities indicates that with penalties and interest, Mr. Bowman’s unpaid bill amounts to $4,835.09.
- The phrase “tax warrants” is the official and only term New York State uses for what other states call a “tax lien.” That is not DMFI PAC’s phrasing. https://www.tax.ny.gov/enforcement/collections/tax-warrants.htm
- Mr. Bowman has told several conflicting stories about paying his most recent tax debt. HuffPost reported yesterday that Mr. Bowman learned about the warrant from our ad and paid it on Wednesday, June 17, 2020. By contrast, on Thursday, June 18, 2020, Mr. Bowman told HuffPost that he paid his outstanding tax debts in May at the time he learned about them. This would mean he could not have learned about the debt from our ad, which did not air until June 13th. New York State says it takes 7-10 days for payment to be processed, but as of today, the state still believes Mr. Bowman’s debt is unpaid, calling into question whether it was paid in May.
- Mr. Bowman has been earning a six-figure salary for at least six years.
- Last year, his reported household income was $258,332 and his salary was $183,000.
Mr. Bowman claims Rep. Engel attacked him for his tax debt, but Rep. Engel had nothing to do with our ad and cannot by law. Mr. Bowman should apologize to Rep. Engel for his false accusation.
The vast majority of DMFI PAC’s efforts in this congressional race have been supportive of Eliot Engel. Here’s a new ad we just released supporting Rep. Eliot Engel.