Governor Cuomo Announces $2.2 Billion in Food Assistance for School Children in New York State

eHezi Community, COVID-19, Education, Governance, History, Law, New York State 5 Comments

Second Round of Pandemic EBT will Provide Food Benefits to Remote and Hybrid Learners 

Aid to Help 2.5 Million Children Enrolled in the National School Lunch Program  

New York State Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo. Archival photo.

ALBANY, NY — June 14, 2021 — Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced an estimated $2.2 billion in federal food assistance for children in New York State that were unable to access free school meals due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Administered by the state Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance, the Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer program will provide eligible students $132 in food benefits for each month they fully participated in remote learning and $82 in food benefits for each month they participated in hybrid learning during the 2020-21 school year.

“For many families across the state, free school meals provide a critical stop-gap and the ongoing pandemic has only made it harder for those already grappling with food insecurity,” Governor Cuomo said. “This funding will help school children throughout our state access critical food assistance at a time when so many families are trying to make ends meet.”

Starting today, June 14, food benefits will begin being issued to children enrolled to receive free school meals but had their in-person school attendance reduced due to the pandemic. Children that participated in remote learning for more than 12 school days during a given month will receive $132 for that month; children who learned remotely for at least one school day but no more than 12 days in each month will receive $82 for that month.

About 2.5 million children throughout the state are enrolled to receive free school meals during the 2020-21 academic year. Families will not need to apply for the benefits, which will be distributed in two phases: One beginning now and extending through late July that will cover fall semester benefits; and another beginning sometime in late July and extending through August that will cover spring semester benefits.

Eligible children who are in families that are enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program will see their benefits posted to that household’s regular EBT card. The households of all other eligible children will receive a letter informing them of their benefit availability and how to access them.

Children under the age of 5 who are part of a SNAP household will be eligible for P-EBT food benefits to replace meals missed due to the closure of childcare facilities during the pandemic. These benefits will cover closures since October 2020.

The families of children who received P-EBT cards by mail for the first-round last year will see the latest round of benefits posted to the same card if they are still eligible. If they no longer have these cards, they may request a replacement by contacting the automated P-EBT helpline at 1-888-328-6399.

Newly-eligible students who are not part of a SNAP household or in a family receiving Temporary Assistance will be issued a P-EBT card by mail along with instructions on how to activate it.

“P-EBT food benefits provided important assistance to millions of New Yorkers that previously relied on free school lunches in order to avoid food insecurity,” OTDA Commissioner Mike Hein said. “This latest round of assistance will help ensure that an even greater number of children have access to proper nutrition, even if they are unable to attend school in person.”

“Many low-income families that were disproportionately affected by COVID are still struggling with the challenges presented by the pandemic,” said Board of Regents Chancellor Lester W. Young, Jr. “These additional benefits will support proper nutrition, reduce childhood hunger and ensure New York’s children are prepared for a healthy and safe return to school in September.”

“With both the beginning of summer break and the end of the pandemic in sight, we cannot overlook that there are many families still suffering and children wondering where their next meal will come from,” said State Education Commissioner Betty A. Rosa. “Extending these benefits for children enrolled in the National School Lunch Program ensures our communities that have been hardest hit by the pandemic can access the nutritious foods that they need in order to thrive.”

Previously, OTDA delivered roughly $1 billion in P-EBT food benefits to the more than 2.4 million children statewide, including about 1 million who had limited or no previous interaction with public assistance programs. Additionally, the agency established a temporary call center and a dedicated email address to respond to a tremendous number of public inquiries about the unprecedented program.

Like regular SNAP benefits, these Pandemic EBT benefits can be used to purchase food at authorized retail food stores. New Yorkers can also use these benefits to purchase groceries online from authorized retailers.

###

SOURCE:  New York State | New York State Governor Andrew M. Cuomo | Executive Chamber

 

eHeziGovernor Cuomo Announces $2.2 Billion in Food Assistance for School Children in New York State

Comments 5

  1. Are the school files actually being sent to the state?? ALL the yonkers public schools still say pending while everyone has already received and spent theirs.

  2. Another massive waste of tax payer money by this phony Governor. I have a daughter in a Yonkers elementary school. Last spring I got this mysterious card from NYS to buy $200 worth of groceries with. Why did I get this? I assume it’s because my daughter couldn’t get her free breakfasts and lunches at school, even though we give her breakfast at home in the morning, and make her lunch and send it in with her. Neither my wife or myself (thankfully) lost our jobs due to the pandemic. Bottom line is, it shouldn’t have been sent to us, and I’m sure thousands of others who didn’t need it received it as well. We gave it to our Church to use as it saw fit. But the question is-who makes these decisions?

  3. Also from NY state,$2.1 billion coronavirus relief fund for undocumented immigrants, no wonder we are broke. No wonder people are leaving NY in droves. NY is a crazy state, just like NYC being run by Mr. Free.

  4. why not help us working who can’t get free food or free anything…us the people who worked thru all this ? Nope better off on Welfare get free money

Leave a Reply

This comment will be displayed anonymously. Your name and email address will not be published.

Comments that are off topic will be removed. If you want a topic to be covered, email me at: ehezi@hush.com

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.